Friday, January 7, 2011

Zucchini-Feta Pancakes

My friend Kim recently reminded me about an old cookbook I made about a million years ago (give or take 15 years) called Eat This. I use the word made loosely because while I did physically assemble the books, it was just a compilation of recipes I liked from other cookbooks and magazines and didn't have original material. Still, it was fun to make and share with friends and family (kind of like this blog).

I was pretty tickled to hear her say she still references it because I hadn't thought about it in so long. That inspired me to dig out my copy and make one of the recipes (this one, in case you didn't already get that).

There was a handwritten note on the bottom of the page that said: My friend Kurt (who hates zucchini) ate four of these...and he would have had more, but we ran out.


ZUCCHINI-FETA PANCAKES
Makes 12-14 pancakes

4 packed cups coarsely grated zucchini
4 eggs, separated
1 ¼ cups finely-crumbled feta cheese
½ cup minced scallions
¾ teaspoon dried mint
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup all purpose flour

butter or olive oil (or combo) for frying
sour cream or plain Greek yogurt for topping
chopped fresh dill for topping


1.      Place the grated zucchini in a colander in a bowl.  Salt it lightly and let stand for 15 minutes.  Rinse and squeeze out all the excess water.
2.      Combine squeezed zucchini, egg yolks, feta, scallions, flour, mint and a sprinkling of salt and pepper (you don’t need much salt because the feta is salty).
3.      Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Fold into zucchini mixture.
4.      Heat the butter or oil in a large skillet (enough to coat the pan about 1/8" deep).  Add the batter using a large spoon to make pancakes (about 3 inches in diameter).  Fry until golden and crisp.
5.      Serve topped with sour cream or yogurt and a sprinkling of fresh dill.

adapted from The Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen

before mixing
egg whites whipping
soft peaks

pancakes sizzling
I used plain Greek yogurt

This one's for you Kurt (wherever you are).


7 comments:

Judie Cleland said...

Susan, your photography makes every dish look great. I think these "pancakes" will be next on my list. They look wonderful. Maybe I shall do them for Sunday night dinner with Jim.

Susan said...

I hope they're not too weird for the Sunday night dinner crowd!

Anonymous said...

Good gracious this sounds delicious. I am in a huge latke/pancake/fritter phase right now. These are on the list to try ASAP. Maybe tomorrow.

Unknown said...

I, too, still have Eat This. Think that I should start looking through it again. The pancakes sound scrumptious!

Kimberley Hiner said...

Oh this brings back memories. We had these today for Sunday morning breakfast. A huge hit!

I called Kurt to let him know of the dedication :) He's still lives on Capitol Hill in Seattle.

Susan said...

Hi Kim! I love that you made these for breakfast, good idea! Give Kurt a big hug for me.

Andria Crowjoy said...

The hell there's no original recipes in there, just not YOUR originals! :)

These are a staple for us, I freeze them when the zuchs and eggs are beating down my door. They reheat well in the oven.

Post a Comment