Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Carrot Soup

I'd like to take this opportunity to sing the praises of the immersion blender. I don't know if you've noticed, but I use mine quite a bit, especially during soup season. But it's great all year round (for example, I use it for tomato sauce and pizza sauce regularly). I don't know if you've ever pureed hot soup or sauce in a blender, but it's extremely messy and usually has to be done in batches. What a giant pain. Not to mention it often ends up with me burning myself. I hope I'm not making you feel bad if you don't have an immersion blender, that's not my intention at all. I would just like for you to consider acquiring this handy dandy kitchen tool and make your life a little easier. You deserve it. Oh yeah, and the carrot soup is really good too (even if it does resemble baby food a little).
CARROT SOUP
Yield: 8 cups (4-6 servings)

4 tablespoons unsalted butter (or olive oil)
2 cups chopped white onion
2 lb. large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 5 1/3 cups)
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
salt and freshly ground black pepper


1.      Melt butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
2.      Mix in carrots. Add broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes.
3.      Remove soup from the heat. Puree using an immersion blender until smooth.
4.      Whisk in honey, lemon juice, cumin and allspice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Serve hot.
adapted from Bon Appétit, April 2010
whole, peeled (and organic)
chopped
the immersion blender is also known as the thunderstick at our house
(Chuck has a real knack for naming and renaming stuff)

The Cuisinart SmartStick is a good immersion blender and not too expensive (less than $25 when I wrote this). I had one for many years before it finally gave out. Now I have a Kitchen Aid, which costs a little more, but luckily I got it on sale. It's nice because it has different speeds (which isn't totally necessary, but cool). It doesn't go up to eleven.

7 comments:

Susan said...

Ooh, a whisk attachment. I've never had one of those models. Sounds great!

Anonymous said...

I adore my immersion blender and use it all the time too. I think it is ingenious!

Once, in the "before time", I was trying to puree the gravy from a pot roast and I put it in the blender. Then I had to run in the other room to get something for Evelyn and went back about 5 minutes later and hit the on button. So much steam had built up in the blender that it exploded all over me and all over the kitchen.

I got burned, the walls and ceiling were stained, I had to throw away my shirt and wash my hair. It would have been funny except for the burned part. Oh, and that my mother AND my mother-in-law were there to watch it happen. That hurt more than the burn actually.

The soup looks awesome, I love carrot soup. Especially on a day like today (it's snowing to beat the band!).

Susan said...

That's a great story (you know, except for the burn part). Although it is nice to know I'm not the only one!

Anonymous said...

Susan - your timing is perfect. I had chicken broth in the fridge that I needed to use or freeze, too many carrots and it is a cold snowy day. Carrot soup was the perfect answer and I might add that it was delicious!
I sing the praises of the immersion blender all the time. Becky

Susan said...

Hi Becky. I just love that I posted this in the morning and you've already made it for dinner! I guess it was fate. Best, Susan

Unknown said...

Loved carrot soup...tried this and it's exceptional...and easy. Also appreciate your recommendations. Thanks.

Best hand blender said...

Food processors or even better the Best Buy Hand Blender - my mum has been using them for almost two decades now and thinks it's an extremely brilliant invention.

Post a Comment