Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Diane's Six-Spice Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I don't know Diane personally, but she makes one hell of an oatmeal cookie!  I found this recipe online and was drawn to the peculiar addition of cumin and cayenne (unexpected savory and sweet combinations always peak my interest). Some people may not be able to put their finger on why they're different (depending on how sensitive their palate is). Some people might not even try them if you tell them about the spices, but I love these and wouldn't tweak a thing!
 
DIANE'S SIX-SPICE OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES
Yield: approx. 60 cookies

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
a pinch ground cloves
a pinch cayenne
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup raisins


1.      Preheat oven to 375°F.  Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2.      Into a bowl sift together flour, spices, baking soda, and salt.  Set aside.
3.      In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture and slowly beat until just combined well. Stir in rolled oats and raisins (dough will be stiff).
4.      Working in batches, drop dough by level tablespoons (about 2 inches apart) onto baking sheets and bake in middle of oven until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 1 minute and transfer to racks to cool completely. 

Copyright Diane Elizabeth Brown, Pacific Palisades CA, Sugar And Spice


Finally, I remembered to use my cookie scooper!  (I've had it for over
a year and never remember it until the cookies are already cooling off.)
Come on over for a cookie (don't be creepy, only if you know me).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tasted it before I read the ingredient list. Adam called the cayenne and I said, there's something that's used in curry powder that's in here (the cumin). Our palates are getting more discerning by the day! Wish I'd known you were at my house today, I had some cheesy cauliflower soup I wanted to share with you!

Susan said...

Mmm...cheesy cauliflower soup!! I would have knocked, but I was in a hurry (besides, I liked the idea of cookies magically appearing in your mailbox).

Post a Comment