Monday, January 3, 2011

Sauteed Parsnips & Carrots with Honey & Rosemary

I had two motivations for choosing this dish. The first one was the little rosemary tree in my kitchen...at this point it's a race to see how much I can use it before it dies (I'm not known for my green thumb). The second came compliments of my husband Chuck. Sometimes when we go grocery shopping he likes to pick up some random ingredient and put it in the cart, just to see what I'll do with it. It's like his own personal cooking game show. That's what he did this weekend (not that parsnips are so strange or unusual, we just don't eat them often).

So I did what most people would probably do when faced with a parsnip, I googled "parsnip recipes" and started browsing. I picked this recipe because I don't love parsnips enough to eat them on their own, so I felt they could use a solid supporting cast. I liked it (I'm not saying I plan on buying more parsnips this weekend, but it was a nice change of pace).

SAUTEED PARSNIPS & CARROTS WITH HONEY & ROSEMARY
Makes 4 servings

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
½ lb. petite baby carrots (or regular baby carrots, cut in half if large)
½ lb. parsnips (about 2 medium), peeled, halved lengthwise, cored and cut into matchsticks
salt and black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
1-2 tablespoons good quality honey


1.      Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots and parsnips. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until vegetables are beginning to brown at edges, about 12 minutes.
2.      Add butter, rosemary, and honey. Toss over medium heat until heated through and vegetables are glazed, about 5 minutes.
3.      Season to taste with more salt and pepper, if desired.

adapted from Bon Appétit, November 2007 by Molly Stevens

This is a parsnip (in case you didn't know).  It looks like a beige carrot
that's white on the inside (it does taste better than my cutting board,
although it is hard to tell them apart).
raw carrots and parsnips before sauteeing
after (they reduced by at least half)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've heard that parsnips make a great addition to mashed potatoes. Apparently, they add a nice bite that spices up the bland potato. This looks yummy. I might be persuaded to pick up a parsnip sometime soon.

Post a Comment