Thursday, January 6, 2011

Pasta, Sausage & Bean Soup

I made this soup while visiting my in-laws at Christmas time. It was very hearty and everyone seemed to enjoy it.  Even my brother-in-law Jim said "it's alright" (with a devilish grin on his face).  If you knew him, you'd realize that's practically a rave review. He asked me recently why I hadn't posted the soup. I told him I would if he said it was amazing (of course he never did). I guess you could say I caved. You win Jim (ouch).


PASTA, SAUSAGE & BEAN SOUP
Makes 8 servings

10 oz. mild (sweet) Italian sausages, casings removed (or more to taste)
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 cups diced carrots
1 celery stalk with leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried rosemary (crush between your fingers when adding)
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
6 cups chicken broth
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans, drained
1 heaping cup elbow macaroni (or other small pasta)
grated parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top (optional)


1.      Heat oil in heavy large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add sausages and sauté until beginning to brown, breaking up with back of spoon, about 5 minutes.
2.      Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, basil, rosemary, crushed red pepper and sage. Sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
3.      Add broth, tomatoes (with their juices) and beans. Bring soup to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender and flavors blend, about 20 minutes.
4.      Add pasta and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parmesan if desired.

adapted from Jean Jamieson
extreme closeup

You can add more sausage if you'd like.  I was a little conservative because I feel like it's a very strong flavor that has a tendency to overpower other flavors.

9 comments:

Judie Cleland said...

Susan made the soup for us at Christmas and it was delicious. It was hearty and a little spicy
(which I like). We love Susan to cook for us and I am trying to make some of her recipes each week. She can do my menu planning!

Kimberley Hiner said...

Dinner tonight and I have all of the ingredients on hand!!! Ah...my day is so much more relaxed.
Thanks, Susan! You're a Superhero!

Susan said...

That must be why they call me Bloatarella (I always thought it was for another reason).

Jim said...

Susan,

It's not about winning and losing....The soup was quite good (amazing?) and a perfect dinner with good rolls during the cold weather.

Susan said...

Easy for you say Jim, you won!

Kevin said...

I've made this twice -- excellent both times. Second time I left the beans out because, well, I don't really like beans. I added extra tomatoes instead.

Helpful engineering tip: a potato masher is a good tool for breaking up sausage.

And, next time I'll reserve the leftovers before adding the pasta since the pasta kind of turns to mush when reheating.

Susan said...

Hi Kevin, thanks for the great tips! I'm so excited you've been making recipes from the blog (I didn't even know you read it).

Kevin said...

I've been having fun with it! In addition to this recipe and the lamb burgers I've also made the Goat Cheese & Caramelized Onion Quesadillas, and the Tortilla Black Bean Casserole.

Susan said...

Interesting (for a guy who doesn't like beans, you seem drawn to those recipes).

Post a Comment