Friday, January 14, 2011

Radish-Chive Tea Sandwiches with Sesame and Ginger

I figure at least 95% of radishes end up in salads, always in the background, never really getting a chance to shine. So I'm proud to help them break out of their doldrums, even if it's only for one lowly post. I served these at a tea party once, along with some other finger sandwiches. For me it was the most memorable sandwich that day, something new and different (not to mention deeelicious).


RADISH-CHIVE TEA SANDWICHES WITH SESAME & GINGER
Yield: 12

4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons minced chives (plus 1 teaspoon for garnish)
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted and cooled
3/4 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
pinch of salt
12 baguette slices, ¼-inch-thick each
8 radishes, thinly sliced


1.      Mix butter, chives, sesame seeds, ginger, oil and a pinch of salt in a small bowl..
2.      Spread butter mixture on each bread slice.
3.      Top with radishes, overlapping slightly.
4.      Sprinkle with remaining chives for garnish.

adapted from Bon Appétit, April 2008
aren't they beauties?
...and not just a pretty face, beautiful on the inside too!
I used The Almost-No-Knead Baguette to make these.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, you served these to us once and Adam couldn't get enough of them. I think you sent us home with enough for an army and he demolished them later that same night. If I recall, there were some other fantastic sandwiches that day too, and I couldn't stop eating them long enough to have any dessert they were that good.

Unknown said...

Colorful and easy...just my speed...will try first for me and next for guests.

Post a Comment