Monday, January 17, 2011

Super Easy Baby Back Ribs

I was a vegetarian for many years, so I can take or leave most meat dishes (I cook them more with my husband and daughter in mind than myself). But if I never ate meat again, this would be the dish I would miss the most. It's so tender, it falls off the bone. Be sure to use a barbecue sauce you love, since that's half the recipe (if you can call it that with only two ingredients). This couldn't be any easier unless I came over to your house and cooked it for you (which isn't going to happen)!
  BABY BACK RIBS

2 lb. pork baby back ribs
18 oz. barbecue sauce of choice (about 2 1/4 cups)


1.      Tear off 2-3 very large pieces of aluminum foil (enough to enclose all the ribs). Brush the ribs very liberally on both sides with barbecue sauce and wrap tightly with the foil (sealing it on the top, not the bottom).  Make sure there are no breaches, especially on the bottom and sides.  If the ribs are too big to fit on a sheet pan, separate them into 2 packets.
2.      Refrigerate overnight (or for up to two days).
3.      Preheat oven to 300˚ F.  Line a baking sheet with foil.
4.      Bake ribs on the sheet pan, still in the foil (sealed side up) for 2 1/2 hours.
5.      Remove ribs from foil (this is best done in the sink, a lot of liquid gets released during cooking). Increase the oven temperature to broil.
6.      Carefully transfer ribs to a clean sheet pan lined with foil (using tongs and/or a large spatula).  Brush on more barbecue sauce and then place the ribs under the broiler for just a minute or two on each side to caramelize (keep a close watch so they don't burn).

slathered
wrapped
foil just opened after cooking (that's all
the liquid I was referring to in the recipe)
When you lift the ribs off the foil, they often come apart,
also known as falling off the bone (that means you did it right).
I like Sweet Baby Ray's, although I do think of it as a guilty pleasure because it
contains corn syrup and I try to avoid that. I know, I should make my own barbecue sauce.
It's already on my list of things to do (but it's a very long list and it's somewhere in the middle).

3 comments:

Chuck said...

This one always works!

Kimberley Hiner said...

See, I still think of you as a die-hard vegetarian, so this kinda makes me laugh. A good hearty, fun laugh. Well, we're having this for Superbowl Sunday and I can't wait. Thanks for the great recipes Suz.

I've been making homemade pasta lately, trying this and that. So far so good, but would love, love to see a homemade pasta post (hint, hint!!)

Susan said...

Let me know how it turns out! I've been interested in making homemade pasta (I even have a pasta machine on my wish list), but I haven't done it yet...I'll have to get crackin' on that!

Post a Comment