Friday, January 28, 2011

Malted Waffles

When I woke up yesterday morning to a spectacular winter wonderland outside my window (19.1 inches total), my first thought was how gorgeous!  My second, less upbeat thought was damn, another snow day off from school, how am I going to get any work done?!  

After absorbing that reality for a minute or two, I quickly shifted gears. My third, more optimistic thought was I think we might have all the ingredients to make waffles. Luckily, we did. So with things looking up, I dug out the old waffle iron and enlisted the help of my lovely assistant. 

Those waffles were great fuel, they kept me going through shoveling and two snowball fights.
 
MALTED WAFFLES
Yield: about 8 (4” x 4”) waffles

1 3/4 cups whole milk
2 large eggs
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup malt powder (or another 1/4 cup flour, of course the waffles won't be malted)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
melted coconut oil or canola oil for brushing waffle iron (only if it isn’t non-stick)


1.      Whisk milk, eggs, and melted butter in a large bowl to blend. Add flour, malt powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt; whisk until batter is smooth. If the batter is too thin, add a few more pinches of flour.  Can be made 1 hour ahead; let batter stand at room temperature.
2.      Heat waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions. If your waffle iron isn’t non-stick, brush lightly with oil. Pour enough batter onto each waffle grid to cover generously, about 1/2 cup each (the amount depends on the size of your waffle iron). Close waffle iron and cook until waffles are golden brown and crisp on both sides, 5 to 6 minutes.
3.      Serve waffles with pure maple syrup and fresh fruit (or desired toppings).

adapted from Yves Camdeborde

my helper, whisking the batter (wearing a Louisiana State
University cheerleading uniform her Aunt Randi gave her)
pouring the batter
peeking in (almost done)
with maple syrup



No comments:

Post a Comment