Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Roasted Kohlrabi

exhibit A
Lesson learned...don’t ever let Chuck go grocery shopping by himself.  Usually we go together, but this weekend I had a lot of work to catch up on, blah, blah.  Fast forward two hours and these are on my kitchen counter (see exhibit A).  Not what I had in mind when I wrote “assorted vegetables” on the shopping list. I figured my best plan of action was to either mash or roast these. I started by removing those viny, tentacle-like things. After that they weren't quite as scary, so I carried on. They taste a little bland, so the garlic and parmesan helped. In the end, it was pretty good actually. I'd make it again.


exhibit B
exhibit C
On that very same shopping list: unsweetened, shredded coconut.  I was fairly sure I’d seen that before in the health food baking aisle at the Wegmans (our local grocery store). When Chuck couldn’t find it, this is what he brought home (see exhibit B). And yes, he does own a cell phone.  


He seemed genuinely confused as to why I didn’t share his excitement. "Just shred it yourself" he said, sincerely unaware of what that would involve. Fast forward another hour, I hear loud banging coming from the basement. About 10 minutes later (not bad actually), this appeared on the counter (see exhibit C). Don’t ask where the coconut milk ended up.


ROASTED KOHLRABI
Yield: 4 servings

3 kohlrabi bulbs, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
12 cloves garlic, left whole and unpeeled
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese


1.      Preheat oven to 450º F.
2.      Spread kohlrabi and garlic cloves onto a foil lined baking sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Toss to coat.
3.      Bake until kohlrabi is browned and pierces easily with a fork, about 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
4.      Squish the roasted garlic out of their skins and mix with the kohlrabi.  Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

chopped kohlrabi and garlic cloves

roasted

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Classic Wally moment. Ask him about when he and I went to buy more orange juice for the church pancake breakfast on Thanksgiving morning. I'll take the blame for that one. - Stanek

Susan said...

He blamed you too!

Jim said...

Dove is more like Dad than I realized.

Judie Cleland said...

You make me want to fix all these things. Will look for kohlrobi this weekend.
what are you doing with the coconut?

Susan said...

We did eat a few pieces raw, but I have no immediate plans for it. Maybe I'll toast a few pieces and see how that tastes (I've never toasted fresh coconut before)!

Susan said...

You can cook the greens, but I didn't this time around, so I'm not sure what they taste like (this was my first kohlrabi).

Post a Comment