Sunday, January 9, 2011

Mashed Turnips with Caramelized Shallots

You might recall just last week I made parsnips because my husband Chuck stuck them in our shopping cart just to see what I would do with them. Well, this week it was turnips. It is root vegetable season, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.  At least they came already peeled and chopped, so this was a breeze to make. I loved it (I wish we had some leftover).

I apologize for the photo (they can't all be winners). I'm thinking it would have been way more photo friendly with the shallots mixed in (it kind of reminds me of a bad toupee).

MASHED TURNIPS WITH CARAMELIZED SHALLOTS
3 servings

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2-3 shallots, peeled and sliced into thin rings
1 large turnip, about 2 pounds (peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks)
salt
½ cup whole milk
3 tablespoons butter
freshly ground black pepper


1.      Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots, and cook for a about 3 minutes.  Reduce heat to low and cook (stirring frequently) until caramelized, 30 to 40 minutes.
2.      Boil turnip chunks in lightly salted water until easily pierced with a fork, about 25 minutes. Drain.
3.      Return turnips to the pan. Add milk and butter. Once butter has melted, blend until smooth using an immersion blender.
4.      Season to taste with salt and pepper. 
5.      Serve hot, sprinkled with shallots (or if you prefer, stir the shallots into the turnips before serving).

raw shallot rings
turnip chunks (they did come already chopped, I just spread them
out to show you what they look like on the inside when they're raw)
blending

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh this looks good. I'm stumped about what to cook this week for dinner, I think that I'm going to have this and the zucchini latkes on the menu!

Anonymous said...

Once again Wayne says 'yum, this is really good'. I'm going to try your shredded Brussels sprouts next - I already like them and your picture is yummy looking.
Becky

Post a Comment