Saturday, January 8, 2011

Pizza Sauce (and Quick Pizza)

I always have a few
of these in my freezer.
If you like making pizza at home, you've got to ditch the canned pizza sauce (that stuff has no soul). I originally got this recipe from my coworker (and Queen of Pizza), Lisa Boymann and I'm hooked!  It has a fresh flavor you can't get from a jar. I realize that's ironic (since this is a photo of frozen sauce), but frozen or not, I'll stack it up against the others any day of the week (maybe not this Saturday, I have plans). 

I make pizza fairly often, maybe every two weeks.  But I do cheat and use whole wheat pita bread for the crust. I have made homemade dough, but I haven't found a recipe I love yet. But I'd be lying if I let you believe I use the pita because of my high dough standards...the truth is, with a pita and stash of sauce in the freezer, it's ridiculously fast and easy to make some tasty pizza. The perfect weekday meal that my daughter loves. Plus the pita pizzas are personal size, so you can top each one with whatever each person wants.


PIZZA SAUCE
Yield: approx. 3 cups (enough for 6, 10-inch pizzas)

(scant) 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried ground rosemary (I use a small coffee grinder to grind)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
½ to 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)


1.      In large sauté pan, gently soften garlic in olive oil over medium heat for 1-2 minutes (do not let garlic brown).  Add tomatoes and vinegar and stir.  Add basil, oregano, rosemary, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
2.      Stir ingredients together and bring to a simmer.  Lower heat and cook over medium-low heat, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.
3.      Season to taste (you can add a touch of sugar if you want your sauce a bit sweeter).  Allow mixture to completely cool before applying to pizza dough (or freezing).

adapted from Lisa Boymann


Frozen pizza sauce defrosting. It doesn't take much per
pizza (just a few spoonfuls), so freeze in small containers.
Preheat oven to 400º F. Spread pizza sauce on the pita
(wait until the oven is ready, if you let it sit, it can get soggy).
Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese
(then add other toppings if desired)
.
Bake for only 9-12 minutes (until the
cheese is melted and crust is a little crispy).
My favorite is Kontos whole wheat pocket-less pita
(because it's pocket-less, it stays flat).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I love the idea of the balsamic vinegar in there. I'll deviate from my own basic tomato sauce for this. Of course, I've had your homemade pizza and it's damn good, so I'll have to try it.

Susan said...

I'm a big believer that pizza sauce should have a little more umphf than tomato sauce. I hope you like the umphf!

Susan said...

I haven't tried the naan, but I imagine it would be good!

Post a Comment