Monday, May 9, 2011

Rosemary Cookies with Tomato Jam

The minute I saw this recipe, I was excited to try it. I admit, that's the real reason I made tomato jam (although it is also great with cheese & crackers and as a sandwich spread). These cookies did not disappoint. I was pretty sure the blend of rosemary, cornmeal and tomato would appeal to adults, but I was surprised when I had to cut my daughter off. The sticky smile on her face said it all.

ROSEMARY COOKIES WITH TOMATO JAM
Makes about 24 cookies

2 cups (280 g) all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (40 g) stone-ground yellow cornmeal or polenta
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (225 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
10 tablespoons (135 g) sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
__________________________________________________________________________

1.       In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, and salt.
2.       In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a bowl by hand), beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed just until smooth. Mix in the egg yolks, then the rosemary. Add the flour mixture and mix until the dough is smooth and holds together.
3.       On a lightly floured work surface, divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a log about 6 inches long and 1 3/4 inches in diameter. Wrap the logs in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled and firm, at least 1 hour.
4.       Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven; preheat the oven to 350° F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
5.       Slice the logs into disks 1/4-inch thick and place the disks about 1/2-inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
6.       Bake, rotating the baking sheets midway through baking, until the edges of the cookies are lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Let cool completely.
7.       Spread a scant 1 1/2 teaspoons of the jam on the underside of half of the cookies. Top the jam with a second cookie, bottom side down, to make sandwiches.

Dough can be frozen for up to 1 month. Once filled, the cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

from Ready for Dessert: My Best Recipes by David Lebovitz

rosemary

adding rosemary to butter, sugar and yolks
mixing in the flour mixture
When it starts clumping up, you know you can form it into a ball or disk.
dough halved
dough logged
slicing the cookies
before baking
baked
spreading with tomato jam

I was probably a little heavy handed with the
jam, but it was thick enough not to ooze out (much).
sandwiched

Next time I make these, I'll roll them smaller (just so they're
a little more dainty). I think they'd be perfect for a tea party
(not that I throw many of those).
.

No comments:

Post a Comment