Saturday, April 2, 2011

Mahi-Mahi with Red Pepper Harissa Sauce

Recently I bought some mahi-mahi at the store. When I got home I realized I didn't have a lot of fresh ingredients in the house, so I made a sauce using what I had on hand and served them both over couscous. It all came together nicely and was quick and easy (two qualities I love in dinner).
MAHI-MAHI WITH RED PEPPER HARISSA SAUCE
Yield: 2 servings

Red Pepper Harissa Sauce:
1 (12 oz.) jar roasted red peppers, drained
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon dried mint
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt to taste

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 (6 to 7 oz.) mahi-mahi filets


1.      Puree all the sauce ingredients in a food processor until almost smooth.  Season with salt to taste.
2.      Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the fish. Cook until opaque in the center, about 5 minutes per side.
3.      Serve fish immediately, topped with red pepper harissa sauce.

sauce ingredients
sauce
cooking mahi-mahi
cooked and ready to plate


Harissa is a popular North African condiment.  It's usually a paste made of chiles, garlic, cumin, coriander and oil. There are many recipes/variations. If I'd had fresh chiles at home, I would have used them (but all I had was red pepper flakes, which worked out well for this recipe).
.

No comments:

Post a Comment