Saturday, April 30, 2011

Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams

It's time again for another "favorite things" post. I think we've all had some pretty incredible ice cream at some point in our lives. Let's face it, even bad ice cream is good. But I'm talking about that extra special one. The one that with the first spoonful, your eyes roll back in your head and you wish that moment would never end.

Up until last year, I thought the best ice cream I'd ever had was gelato on the streets of Rome. I just assumed it would go unrivaled for the rest of my life. Then I tasted one of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams (pistachio-honey to be exact). Oh. My. God. I was transported (I'm not sure where I went exactly, but it was glorious).

The funny thing is that pistachio has never even been one of my favorites. I've always thought it was okay, but I've never been crazy about the actual pistachio chunks. But Jeni's pistachio-honey is smooth and there is just something divine about the honey and the pistachio together. To say it's a slam dunk feels like an understatement.

Of course it doesn't end there...Jeni's offers a wide variety of interesting flavors. But what they all have in common is fresh ingredients (from happy, grass-fed cows who roam the pastures at a local Ohio creamery). They're all hand packed and bursting with flavor.

brambleberry crisp (another one of my favorites)
Yes, it's a little odd to order ice cream over the internet and have it sent to you in the mail (they pack it in dry ice and it does stay frozen). It also costs more than picking up a pint at your local grocery store. No doubt it's a splurge and not something we do often at my house (I think yesterday was the third time ever). Think of it for a special occasion, maybe for the birthday of an ice cream lover you know).

I do need to give a shout out to another amazing flavor, Salty Caramel. It has this slightly burnt flavor that is just incredible. They somehow managed to push it to the limit, without going over the edge. It's perfect.

These are the latest flavors we tried. The only one I
didn't like was Influenza Sorbet; it was just too strong for
wimpy me (it's made with cayenne and lots of whiskey). But
I could handle the Bourbon Buttered Pecan (which is good).
Here are just a few of the other interesting flavors (I haven't tried all these yet): Queen City Cayenne, Bourbon Buttered Pecan, Goat Cheese with Cognac Fig Sauce, The Buckeye State, Wildberry Lavender, Violets and Meringue, Olive Oil with Sea-Salted Pepitas, Savannah Buttermint, Kir Sorbet and Lime Cardamom Yogurt.

To order your own little pints of heaven on earth: jenisicecreams.com

.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You introduce us to worlds we never knew existed. That is part of the fun. Becky

Post a Comment