Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Creamy Orzo

For those of you who can't decide whether to make rice or pasta, I give you...orzo, the rice-shaped pasta. This is a very simple recipe that would taste good with any vegetable. You could throw some protein in there too (chicken or ham maybe) and make it a complete meal. Come to think of it, that's what I should have done (these thoughts tend to pop into my head later, when I'm looking at the photos). I guess that's why they say dined-sight is 20/20. (Wow, I just made my own eyes roll.)


CREAMY ORZO
Yield: 6 to 8 servings

1 pound orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large shallot, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, juices drained
1 1/4 cups whipping cream
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
salt and freshly ground black pepper


1.      Bring a heavy large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the orzo and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
2.      Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic, and saute until tender, about 2 minutes.
3.      Add the tomatoes and cook until they are tender, about 8 minutes.
4.      Stir in the cream and peas. Add the orzo and toss to coat. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the parmesan to the pasta mixture and toss to coat. Stir the pasta mixture until the sauce coats the pasta thickly, adding enough reserved cooking liquid to maintain a creamy consistency.
5.      Season the orzo with salt and pepper, and serve.

from Giada De Laurentiis
raw orzo (still in the box)
shallots and garlic
diced tomatoes added
adding peas and cream

I think it could use more peas and maybe some
broccoli too. I think I'll add more vegetables next time.
mixed
adding the cooked orzo
adding parmesan
creamy orzo
.

1 comment:

Becca said...

I'm not sure if orzo available in our place. I will cook this recipe if this is available. thanks for the recipes.

Post a Comment