Saturday, March 24, 2012

Bieber Fever Wonton Skeevers (Nutella Banana Dumplings)

One day my daughter asked me why she didn't have anything with Justin Bieber on it. And not in a fun, lighthearted way either. She was genuinely irritated at the lack of JB merchandise in the house. I think I replied "why would you have anything with Justin Bieber on it?" Then, while she glared at me, I asked "do you even know who Justin Bieber is?" To her credit, she did. She even started singing that song baby. Which she still sings frequently, crowbarring it into my head. And for that, Biebs should rot in hell (what? - he's 18 now - all bets are off). So when she needed a new folder for school, I got her a JB folder, which I figured was harmless enough. When I surprised her with it, she hugged and kissed it and said she was going to marry JB. When I told her he was dating Selena Gomez, she was undeterred (let's hope that's not the start of a pattern). Since then she's developed a pretty acute case of Bieber fever (not to be confused with a cute case, although kissing her folder was a little cute).

Biebs tasting a Bieber fever wonton skeever.
Fun fact: JB's favorite food is spaghetti.
Eh - it's actually not all that fun.
Fast forward a few weeks...I had wonton wrappers leftover from making pork potstickers, so I thought it would be tasty to make a dessert dumpling. I asked Maddie what we should call them and big shock, she said we should name them after Justin Beiber. Then when I told my husband I was putting banana in there, he was reminded of the aebleskivers we made. So we tacked on the skiver (but spelled it so people would rhyme it with fever). And that's my way too long explanation of the inception of the Bieber Fever Wonton Skeever. Sorry about the two minutes of your life that you'll never get back.

    
BIEBER FEVER WONTON SKEEVERS
(Nutella Banana Dumplings)
Yield: 24

24 square wonton wrappers
1/2 cup nutella, or as needed
2 large (ripe) bananas, each sliced into 12 rounds
coconut oil (or canola oil or other no-taste oil) as needed
1/4 cup cinnamon-sugar, or as needed


1.      Lay a few wonton wrappers out on a dry surface; keep remaining wrappers covered. Place roughly a teaspoon of nutella in the center of each square. Top nutella dollops with banana slices (or you can do it the other way around, banana then nutella).
2.      Keep a small bowl of water next to you for moistening your fingertips. Using a wet finger, moisten the border of each wonton square. Fold one corner into the center, then fold in the opposite corner. Then fold the remaining two corners in (sealing with water as you go). Pinch any openings so all edges are sealed. Continue with the remaining wontons and filling, setting the folded ones on a large plate or parchment lined baking sheet.
3.      Heat a large nonstick skillet with about 1/4” oil over high heat. Pan fry the dumplings until golden on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side.
4.      Drain hot dumplings on paper towels and roll each dumpling in the cinnamon-sugar while still hot.
5.      Allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Serve warm.
putting the nutella in a ziploc bag

Piping it was way easier than using a spoon. When you're doing
this alone, do yourself a favor and use a glass to hold the bag.
sliced banana
piping nutella on a banana slice (on a wonton wrapper)
two corners folded in
three corners folded in
four corners folded in (of course now,
you've got yourself four new corners)
pinching the new corners so the filling doesn't ooze out
I also made some into triangles and then
folded in those corners to make this shape.
pan frying
flipped
ready to be sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar
adding cinnamon to sugar

I didn't measure, but if I had to guess,
I would say I used between 1/4 to 1/2
teaspoon per 1/4 cup (I like it very cinnamony).
cinnamon sugar mixed

Don't wait until your dumplings are cooked 

to mix the cinnamon-sugar (it should be ready
while the dumplings are still hot).
sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar

Next time, instead of sprinkling, I would roll the hot
dumplings in a bowl of cinnamon-sugar so more
of it sticks (I already updated that in the recipe).
the sweet, warm, gooey inside...so good!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment