Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Minted Green Beans with Red Onion

While at the farmer's market, my husband spotted a gorgeous bunch of mint and encouraged me to buy it. While I could see the attraction (it was very lush and beautiful), I was confused because he hates mint. At least that's what he's always told me. I'm sure I had a perplexed look on my face because he reassured me and I threw it in our basket. If you ask me, I think he really doesn't like mint and just enjoys being the cause of that look on my face. He likes the idea that I haven't totally figured him out. So we brought home the mint. I figured he was probably envisioning something sweet (like mint chocolate chip ice cream) would be the end result. So just in case he thought he had me figured out, I put these minted green beans on his plate. Check and mate.


MINTED GREEN BEANS WITH RED ONION
Serves 6

2 lb. green beans, trimmed
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons minced fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion


1.     Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook the beans for 2 to 4 minutes, or until they are crisp-tender. Transfer them with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice and cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well. Pat the beans dry with paper towels and chill, covered, for at least 3 hours or overnight.
2.     In a large bowl whisk together the mustard and vinegar. Add the oil in a stream, whisking, until emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3.     Add the beans, mint and onion and toss until combined well.

Gourmet, August 1992
raw green beans
blanching the green beans
shocking the greens beans in ice water
whisking the vinaigrette
chopped red onion
The aforementioned bunch of mint...pretty nice, but not quite
as dazzling to behold after just one day in my fridge.
Note to self: take fresh produce photos while unloading the groceries.
the nicest mint leaves of the bunch
adding blanched green beans to the bowl with the dressing
red onion and mint added
minted green beans

By the way, these are very good. Fresh, flavorful
and crunchy. A nice change of pace for green beans.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment