Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Italian Stuffed Mushrooms

Sometimes I like to test out party food and eat it for dinner. You can't always get away with that though. For example, I doubt it would fly if I served a heaping bowl of dip and chips (actually, my daughter would probably love that). But even I know better. In my opinion, these mushrooms qualified, so we had them as a side dish.

I've always made stuffed mushrooms with a breadcrumb based filling. I like those, but I thought it might be time to make a slightly more sophisticated version. I loved these! I was a little nervous about adding the gorgonzola, but I think it's what put this recipe over the top. I'm definitely making them for my next party. I just hope this doesn't mean I've lost that childlike innocence (some might call it immaturity) that makes me, me. Oh wait, I still think farts are funny, so I'm good.


ITALIAN STUFFED MUSHROOMS
Makes 24

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
24 large mushrooms (about 2” diameter)
1/2 cup chopped fresh fennel bulb
1/4 cup chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup grated fontina cheese or crumbled gorgonzola cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup (packed) chopped fresh basil
1 large egg


1.       Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush 15” x 10” x 2” glass baking dish with oil.

2.       Remove the stems from the mushrooms and scoop out just a little of the inside from the mushroom (being careful not to crack it). Chop the stems and mushrooms innerds. Set aside the caps.

3.       Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped mushrooms, fennel, tomatoes, and garlic. Sauté until stems and fennel are tender and beginning to brown, about 12 minutes; transfer to medium bowl. Cool 10 minutes.

4.       Mix in cheeses, then basil. Season filling to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in egg.

5.       Arrange mushroom caps in prepared dish, cavity side up. Brush mushroom cavities lightly with additional oil. Mound filling in mushroom cavities, pressing to adhere. Bake until mushrooms are tender and filling is heated through, about 25 minutes. Serve warm.

from Elisa Mazzaferro-Rosenberg, Fort Collins, CO
mushrooms (large for stuffing)
mushrooms with stems and some innerds scooped out
(if any of them break, just chop them along with the stems)

I only lost two, not bad.
stems, innerds & broken mushrooms

Usually I would chop them by hand, but
I was in a hurry and used my mini chopper.
chopped stems/innerds
fennel bulb
chopped sundried tomatoes
mushrooms, tomatoes, fennel and garlic
cooked mushrooms, cheeses and basil
adding the egg
filling all mixed
mushrooms filled
stuffed mushrooms
I thought they might look nice with some fennel fronds
sprinkled on top (I think the shot of green is nice, but
next time I would finely chop them first).
.

2 comments:

Judie Cleland said...

Yummy

Anonymous said...

i will try soon is possible

Post a Comment