Monday, May 7, 2012

Dirty Pork Fried Rice

I'm warning you right now that this an annoying post (because I used leftovers that you don't have in your refrigerator to make it). Of course you can make it without the leftovers, I just can't vouch for that version. Then again, I can't vouch for anything you cook because for all I know you're not measuring, substituting ridiculous ingredients and leaving out whole steps. But fried rice is pretty much a mish mosh anyway, so just go ahead throw whatever you want in there and hope for the best. If it doesn't work out, you can always order in (my sincerest condolences if your podunk town doesn't have a Chinese restaurant that delivers).


DIRTY PORK FRIED RICE
Yield: 8-12 servings

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup diced carrot
1 cup frozen peas
1 (8 oz.) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 (8 oz.) can baby corn, drained and chopped
4 to 5 cups cold cooked rice
1 1/2 cups cooked, chopped pork (I used leftover carnitas)
leftover "carnitas pork base"*
1/2 cup chopped scallions
2 to 3 teaspoons sesame oil, to taste
reduced-sodium soy sauce, to taste

*If you didn't make carnitas, I would substitute 1 cup finely chopped onion for pork base (add in step one, along with the carrots). Of course your rice won’t be as dirty (or porky).


1.      Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or large skillet. Add chopped carrots and cook for 5 minutes, until starting to get tender, but still firm.
2.      Add peas, water chestnuts, and baby corn. Cook for 5 more minutes.
3.      Mix in rice (breaking up any clumps as you add it), pork, carnitas base and scallions. Cook until everything is mixed and heated through, about 7-8 minutes.
4.      Drizzle with sesame oil and soy sauce to taste.
carrots (I used baby carrots)
carrots, peas, water chestnuts and baby corn
"carnitas pork base"

It looks gross, I know. But don't be scared -
it's a flavor explosion waiting to happen.
adding rice, pork, carnitas pork base and scallions

I usually prefer brown rice, but I had just a little
white basmati rice left in my cabinet and used that.
dirty pork fried rice
.

No comments:

Post a Comment