Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Colcannon (Mashed Potatoes with Cabbage)

I had some cabbage leftover from the black bean tacos with feta & cabbage I made recently. Which is awesome by the way. Seriously, you should forget about these potatoes and go make that right now. Which means I should just stop right here. But for all you potato enthusiasts out there, I'll continue. So I went ahead and did something I commonly do when I don't want to strain my brain to use up an ingredient. I mixed it into mashed potatoes. Boom...bag empty. It was good. The same way mashed potatoes with almost anything is good. So if you like cabbage and you like mashed potatoes...



COLCANNON
(Mashed Potatoes with Cabbage)
Yield: 2 servings

1 1/4 pounds (about 2 large) russet (baking) potatoes
3 cups thinly sliced cabbage
1/2 cup milk, scalded
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits and softened
salt and freshly ground black pepper


1.      Peel the potatoes and cut into chunks. In a saucepan cover the potatoes with salted water. Bring to a boil and simmer until tender.
2.      While the potatoes are simmering, in a steamer set over boiling water steam the cabbage for 5 minutes, or until tender.
3.      Drain the potatoes in a colander, force them through a ricer or the medium disk of a food mill into a bowl, and stir in the milk, butter, cabbage, and salt and pepper to taste.

from Gourmet, April 1993
potatoes
chopping potatoes
cooking potatoes
raw cabbage

I used cole slaw mix that comes in a bag
already shredded, so mine has carrots too.
steamed
ricing the potatoes
adding the scalded milk
adding the butter and cabbage/carrots
colcannon
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's a gajillion ways to add ingredients to the humble potato and create a delicious recipe. This is but one way, and a good one too.

Post a Comment