Thursday, August 11, 2011

Garlicky Sautéed Spinach

I went to an Italian restaurant this weekend and ordered a side of spinach with my entrée. It was so garlicky and delectable, I couldn't stop thinking about it all week. I was pretty proud of myself for being preoccupied with something so healthy for a change. But I was so distracted by this obsession that I decided I'd better make some if I ever wanted to move on (frankly it scared me a little to find myself so utterly distracted by spinach, it was like I didn't even know who I was anymore). Of course the only way to get it out of my head was to finally make some, so here's my version (simple, yet totally satisfying). Sidenote: It worked, I'm already daydreaming about ice cream (as it should be).


GARLICKY SAUTÉED SPINACH
Yield: 2 servings

2 tablespoons unsalted butter (can substitute olive oil)
2 very large (or 4 small) cloves garlic, crushed or finely minced
8-9 oz. baby spinach, washed
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, or to taste
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
______________________________________________________________________

1.       In a large saute pan over medium heat, melt the butter and cook, swirling the pan occasionally, until it smells nutty, turns golden, and flecks of dark brown appear, 2 to 3 minutes. (If using olive oil, just heat for 1-2 minutes until hot.)

2.       Add the crushed garlic and stir for only a few seconds. Immediately add the spinach and stir (so the garlic on the bottom doesn’t burn).

3.       Cook just until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
browning the butter (it adds a slightly nutty flavor)
garlic
garlic added to the browned butter (don't let it burn)
a convenient bag of already washed organic spinach
adding the spinach

If it doesn't all fit, just add in batches (spinach cooks down so
much, it only takes a minute before you have room to add more).
adding fresh lemon juice brightens up the spinach
spinach wilted (lemon juice, salt and pepper added)
.

No comments:

Post a Comment