Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Blueberry Lime Ice Pops

I really like this blueberry lime combo. It's got a sweet-tart thing happening that's fantastic. Also, I think purple lips are a good look for me (it really brings out my eyes). So if you want purple lips, but don't like old fashioned grape ice pops, try these. Let's face it, the grape ones don't even taste like real grapes anyway. In fact, I think they might actually be frozen Dimetapp (on the bright side, your congestion will probably clear up).


BLUEBERRY-LIME ICE POPS
Makes 8 to 12

3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (not thawed), preferably wild (about 1 lb.)
3/4 cup sugar, or to taste
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup fresh lime juice


1.   Simmer blueberries, sugar, and water in a heavy saucepan, stirring occasionally, until blueberries burst and collapse, 3 to 5 minutes.
2.   Purée hot blueberry mixture with lime juice in a blender until smooth (carefully). Taste and blend in more sugar if needed. Strain into a large glass measuring cup. Let cool to room temperature.
3.   Pour into molds, insert sticks and freeze until completely hardened, at least 4 hours or overnight.

barely adapted from Lillian Chou
fresh blueberries
blueberries, sugar and water
cooked blueberries in blender
limes
adding the lime juice
blended

Against my better judgment, I didn't strain mine,
but wished I had. It was still delicious, I just didn't
care for the specks of blueberry skin left behind.
So I adding straining to the recipe.
pouring blueberry lime mixture into ice pop molds
.

2 comments:

Elizabeth (Foodie, Formerly Fat) said...

So it goes like this... I think to myself:
1. I LOVE this, I want this, I must have this!
2. I could totally make these right now! I have all the ingredients!
3. We could be eating them after dinner tonight!
4. Andy loves blueberries!
5. Wait, Andy would eat one, and they are purple...
6. Crap, everything in the house would be stained purple by the time he was finished...
7. Maybe next summer...
8. Sadness...

Susan said...

Too funny! Make him eat them outside!!

Post a Comment