Friday, March 4, 2011

Spiced Orange and Honey Sorbet

In case you've lost count, we're already on day six of Greek week. You didn't think I'd go the whole week without making a dessert did you? I was going to make baklava (but wouldn't you know it, I posted that already). Then I learned that baklava might not even be Greek (gasp!). Depending on your source, it could be Turkish, Armenian or Lebanese. Luckily it doesn't matter because I made sorbet.

I liked this, it was very light and refreshing. But I should warn you that it's probably more of an adult taste with the spices added. I never thought I'd see my daughter turn her nose up at anything resembling ice cream, but she did (I could see right up her tiny little nostrils).


SPICED ORANGE & HONEY SORBET
Makes about 4 cups

3 cups water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup clover honey
2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
2 teaspoons chopped, peeled fresh ginger
1 whole star anise or cardamom pod
1 whole clove
1 small bay leaf, preferably fresh
2 cups chilled fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice


1.      Combine water, sugar, honey, orange zest, ginger, anise, cloves and bay leaf in heavy large saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil until syrup is thick and mixture is reduced to 2 cups, about 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf; cool syrup.
2.      Strain syrup into medium bowl. Add orange juice and lemon juice. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3.      Pour mixture into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer sorbet to container, cover, and freeze until firm, at least 6 hours and up to 3 days.

adapted from Michael Psilakis
sliced oranges
juicing
adding the honey
adding the orange zest
cooled liquid sorbet mixture
(I added one blood orange, just to liven up the color a little)
before churning
after churning

A

5 comments:

Judie Cleland said...

Looks so refreshing. Chuck must be loving all these wonderful dishes; not that you didn't prepare delicious dishes before. Do you use a regular ice cream maker for the sorbet?

Susan said...

Yes, any ice cream maker will make sorbet too! It's true, Chuck is well fed (although he's not a big sorbet fan--he's more of a chocolate ice cream guy).

Elizabeth (Foodie, Formerly Fat) said...

This looks like heaven. I can feel myself getting sick again and I'm already imagining this on my sore throat. Perfection. Adam may have to run to the grocery store tonight to get the orange juice so this can be on the docket for tomorrow. Love it!

Susan said...

Maybe you can get him to make it for you too!

Elizabeth (Foodie, Formerly Fat) said...

I made this on Saturday. It was the perfect treat for my sore throat. Fantastic. Thank you!

Post a Comment