Sunday, February 27, 2011

Tsatsiki

Welcome to day one of Greek week! Why Greek week? Well, there's a Greek restaurant about 20 minutes from our house, that happens to have a Greek market right next door. Last week, after treating ourselves to a nice meal out, we popped into the store...and with all the imported feta cheese, olives and fancy filo dough staring me in the face, it was obvious that just one day wasn't going to cut it. 

I'm kicking off Greek week with a favorite dip of mine, tsatsiki (aka tzatziki). It's great as a dip for bread (preferably a nice pita) and vegetables. It also makes a delicious sauce for meat, poultry or fish. You can even use it as a sandwich spread or salad dressing. It's so versatile that I'm working on a version that can both caulk your tub and cure the common cold.
tsatsiki served with lamb burgers


TSATSIKI
Makes about 1 1/4 cups

1/2 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, peeled
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup plain Greek yogurt*
1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)


1.      Toss cucumber with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a colander and let drain for 15 minutes.
2.      Meanwhile, mince and mash garlic to a paste with 1/4 teaspoon salt, then whisk together with olive oil, yogurt, dill and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
3.      Squeeze out any excess water from cucumbers with your hands, then stir cucumbers into yogurt mixture. Season to taste.

*You can use a thinner type of yogurt if you're using the tsatsiki as a sauce (and not a dip). You can also strain your yogurt with cheesecloth if you like your dip even thicker.

adapted from Estiatorio Milos
slicing cucumber
diced cucumbers draining
fresh dill
stirring


2 comments:

Elizabeth (Foodie, Formerly Fat) said...

Pithari? We love it. I can't go in to that town without stopping at the store. The feta is unlike anything I've bought anywhere else. It's so good. I'm a particular fan of their Legumes Gigantes. Wow, they are good.

This week I think I'm going to make my version of their rosemary, lamb, and orzo stew. So, I call dibs!

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I always seed my cucumber (less moisture to make the finished product runny) and have never used olive oil. I also alternate between using dill or mint each time I make it. Must try it this way next time.

Post a Comment