Friday, November 26, 2010

Corn Bread Pudding

I was excited to include corn in our Thanksgiving meal this year (because we recently found out my daughter is no longer allergic).  So I thought I'd try something new.  I was nervous Maddie wouldn't like this because she tends to stick her nose up if she detects onions, but I chopped them so finely that she didn't even notice they were in there!  I thought this was good...I'd make it again.

 
CORN BREAD PUDDING
Makes 8-12 servings

1/2 onion, finely diced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon finely diced thyme
1/2 teaspoon finely diced rosemary
1 (15 ounce) can creamed style sweet corn
1 (11 ounce) can sweet corn niblets
1 cup heavy cream
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, whole grain, stone ground
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
¾ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
ground black pepper to taste
2 cups cubed french bread


1.      Sweat onions with butter and herbs until translucent; cool to room temperature.
2.      Preheat oven to 350º F.
3.      Combine corns, cream, eggs, baking powder, cornmeal, parmesan, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add onions/herbs and mix.  Add cubed bread and fold to combine.
4.      Spread mixture into a 9” x 13” glass baking dish.  Bake for 45 minutes, or until set. Cool slightly before serving.

adapted from Alton Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment