MASHED POTATOES WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS AND GOAT CHEESE
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided use
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 ½ pounds yellow onions (approx. 2 large onions), thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon sugar
3 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 ½ cups half and half
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 bay leaf
3 ounces goat cheese
1. To make the caramelized onions, heat 2 tablespoons of butter and the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and stir them to coat with the fat. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and the sugar and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are golden brown and caramelized, about 30-40 minutes. If the onions get too dry, add a small amount of water to deglaze the pan. Set aside.
2. Place potatoes in a large pot of cold, salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, heat the half and half, garlic, bay leaf, and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
4. Drain the potatoes and return them to the hot, dry pot. Stir them over low heat for 2 minutes until they are dry. Pass the potatoes through a ricer into a large bowl. Gently stir in the hot cream mixture a little at a time until the potatoes are smooth and creamy (discard the garlic and bay leaf). You may not need to use all of the liquid. Set aside a small amount of the caramelized onions for garnish and stir the remaining onions into the mashed potatoes. Crumble the goat cheese into the potatoes and stir to combine well. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
5. Spoon the mashed potatoes into a serving bowl and garnish with the remaining caramelized onions. Serve hot.
from food52.com (added by Sonali aka the Foodie Physician)
I really pushed them to their limit (I probably had
them on the stove for like an hour and 20 minutes).
|potatoes in water|
If you don't have a ricer, you can obviously just mash them,
but the ricer gives them a really great, smooth consistency.
|mixing in the half 'n half mixture|
|mixing in the ultra caramelized onions & goat cheese|
I didn't save any onions for garnish -
I just tossed them all in there.
|mashed potatoes with caramelized onions and goat cheese|