vegetarian bean & bulgur chili. In fact, it was my first blog post ever in November 2010. When I go back and re-read it, I can't help but shudder a little at how stupid my writing sounds and how horrible that first photo is. Of course next year I'll probably feel the same way about today's post. Good thing I didn't quit my day job.
HEARTY VEGETABLE STEW
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups sliced onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup carrot, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
1 cup celery, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
4 cups mushrooms, cut into quarters
3 medium potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup red wine
1. Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and mushrooms. Cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add small amounts of water, if necessary, to prevent sticking.
3. Add chopped tomato, kidney beans, tomato sauce, 1 cup water, thyme, bay leaf, and salt & pepper. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally while cooking.
4. In a small bowl, gradually stir flour into 1/4 cup water until smooth. Add to stew, along with wine. Cook, stirring, 5 more minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste.
5. Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.
barley adapted from Lean and Luscious and Meatless by Bobby Hinman and Millie Snyder
|all the vegetables (except the potatoes) in the pot|
|adding the potatoes, tomatoes, beans and spices|
|I almost forgot the water, so now that's mixed in too.|
|after 30 minutes|
|mixing the flour and water|
|mixing the flour/water into the stew|