Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Easy Chicken a L'Orange

I'm often drawn to long, elaborate recipes (my idea of a good time), but not this day. I think I was curious to see if I could make a tasty dinner without using my knife and cutting board. And I have to say, while it didn't knock my socks off, it was good. Solid. I probably wouldn't make it if the Queen of England was coming over. Then again, she hasn't been returning my calls lately (thank god, my curtsy is way rusty).


EASY CHICKEN A L'ORANGE
Yield: 4 servings

3 skin-on bone-in chicken breast halves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
4 tablespoons honey


1.      Preheat oven to 375º F.
2.      Liberally salt and pepper the chicken breast halves. Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat and sear the chicken, skin side only, until brown and beginning to crisp, about 5 minutes.
3.      Meanwhile, make the orange glaze: In a small saucepan, heat the orange juice concentrate, honey, and salt and pepper, to taste, over medium heat, and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
4.      Brush each piece of chicken with the glaze. Turn the chicken skin side up; glaze again and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake until the internal temperature reaches 160 to 170º F., brushing on more glaze halfway through, about 15 minutes total. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes on a cutting board. Remove the chicken breast from the bone and slice the meat on the bias. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and serve.

from Melissa d'Arabian
browning the chicken
orange juice concentrate, honey, salt and pepper
orange glaze
glazing the chicken
glazing on the other side
baked/glazed again and ready
resting

.

No comments:

Post a Comment