Friday, November 5, 2010

Vegetarian Bean & Bulgur Chili

I did it again...I made the chili too spicy for me to eat it!  Seriously, it burns my tongue.  Having done this before, you would think that I would be more cautious.  Luckily Chuck can handle it, so at least I have a few more dinners for him ready to go in the freezer.  I just don't understand why I can't control my spice hand, especially when I really want to eat the chili.  At least the cornbread was tasty.

I can't credit it to laziness because over-spicing requires me to actually do something extra, unlike bleached shirt syndrome, which is a lazy thing. I'll explain: every time I clean, I ruin a perfectly good t-shirt because I'm too lazy to change into an already ruined shirt (plus I genuinely believe that this time will be different and I will be careful and not lean into the cleaner).

Isn't that the definition of insanity...doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?  Now I have to successfully make a mild chili, if for no other reason than to prove to myself that I'm not insane (just overly enthusiastic).  Anyway, Chuck swears this is really good chili (I'll just have to take his word for it)!


VEGETARIAN BEAN & BULGUR CHILI
Makes 10-12 servings

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
1 red or yellow bell pepper, seeded & chopped
1-2 jalapeños, seeded & minced, or to taste (and/or 3 oz. can chipotles in adobo sauce)
1 28-oz. can crushed or diced tomatoes with puree (fire-roasted is nice)
3 cups water (or stock)
10 oz. fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 15-oz. can pinto beans, rinsed & drained
1 15-oz. can kidney beans, rinsed & drained
3/4 cup bulgur wheat
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
5 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

optional:  sharp cheddar or monterey jack cheese
optional:  sour cream


1.      Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, red bell pepper, and jalapeño. Sauté until onion and carrots are almost tender, about 8 minutes.
2.      Add tomatoes, chipotles (if using), water or stock, frozen corn, beans, bulgur, vinegar, garlic, and spices. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, until bulgur is tender and mixture thickens, stirring often, about 30 minutes.
3.      Ladle chili into bowls and serve with grated cheese and/or sour cream on top, if desired.
 
adapted from: Bon Appétit, November 2002 by Rebecca Averill, Beverly, MA

Warning:  I used 1 1/2 jalapeños (medium sized) plus 1/2 can chipotles in adobo and as previously mentioned it was MUY CALIENTE!  But I should also note that I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to spicy food, so you might like it that spicy.

everything in the pot
30 minutes later

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds pretty good.. My SO likes things spicier than I do, too. Some kind of slightly spicy compromise will have to be reached.

Post a Comment