Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Homemade Ranch Dip

My idea of fun is taking something easy (like ripping open a pouch of ranch dip mix and stirring it into a tub of sour cream) and making it way more complicated and time consuming. Because I have all kinds of energy to burn and don't have enough to do already (if your sarcasm meter isn't registering off the charts right now, you really ought to get that thing checked). The actual reasons I made this were a) to see if I could and b) I like to use fresh herbs/ingredients when possible (the first ingredient in the pouched stuff is maltodextrin, followed by salt and msg). So here is my attempt at ranch dip. Some of you might say it's not a true ranch because there's no buttermilk, but to you I say...I wanted it to be thick and didn't have any buttermilk powder like they do at Hidden Valley Ranch. And I might add...stop being so negative and try it before you criticize it. And now I'm going to lie down because I must be pretty tired if I'm having imaginary arguments with you in my head.


HOMEMADE RANCH DIP
Yield: 2 cups

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 small clove garlic, pressed or finely minced
2 teaspoons chopped chives
2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon chopped dill
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
dash of green Tabasco sauce
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste


1.       Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl; mix well until smooth. Season to taste.
2.       Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (or overnight).

chives, dill, parsley and garlic
all the ingredients in the bowl

I actually used 1 teaspoon dill when I made this, but everyone
seemed to think it was a little heavy on the dill, so I posted
the actual recipe with only 1/2 teaspoon. You should of course
always add these things to suit your own taste.
mixed (creamy, herby ranch dip)
on a slice of red pepper
.

No comments:

Post a Comment