Friday, July 6, 2012

Sloppy Joes

It's not that I'm above opening a can of Manwich sauce, it's just nice to make things from scratch when there's time. Not only does it taste fresher, but you have more control (like being able to use organic ingredients and adjust the sugar and salt to suit your own taste). Then there's the love that you just can't buy in a can (although people did buy the pet rock in the 70's, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a Can o' Love on the store shelves for $9.99 + tax). In fact, if you're interested in buying one directly from me, send me an email and I'll set up a Paypal account. Of course there will also be shipping and handling fees (I should warn you, it could get pricey - I plan to really handle the hell out of it before I mail it to you).


SLOPPY JOES
Makes 4 servings

1 lb. ground beef
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup barbecue sauce (homemade or your favorite brand)
1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon apple cider or red wine vinegar
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

4 hamburger buns, toasted (for serving)


1.      In a large skillet, brown ground beef, celery, onion and red pepper. Drain the excess fat (if needed).
2.      Stir in the remaining ingredients (except for the buns).
3.      Simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook until it reaches your desired consistency (if mixture is too loose, leave the cover off and let some of the liquid reduce).
4.      Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve on toasted buns.

barely adapted from food.com (submitted by Hey Jude)
beef, celery, onion and red pepper
beef mostly browned
I like to leave it a little pink, since it's going to cook more.

My beef was pretty lean, so I didn't need to drain any excess fat.
remaining ingredients added
everything mixed
thickened and ready (about 15 minutes later)
sloppy joe on a bun

In spite of the name, I tried to keep it neat.
That only lasted until I picked it up.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment