Friday, July 13, 2012

Okonomiyaki (Japanese Cabbage & Shrimp Pancakes)

If you've never heard of okonomiyaki, you're not alone. Until last week, I'd never heard of it either. I spotted this recipe on food52. It's a Japanese street food (winner of Your Best Street Food Contest in fact) and the perfect way for me to use up my leftover cabbage. Since I've never been to the streets of Japan to taste okonomiyaki, I have no idea how this recipe stacks up. All I can tell you is that this okonomiyaki is the best okonomiyaki I've ever had. (But seriously, I've had lots of savory pancakes in my day...this one is unique, slightly exotic and semi addictive).  

 
OKONOMIYAKI
(Japanese Cabbage & Shrimp Pancakes)
Makes approx. 1 dozen pancakes

Sauce:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sriracha, more or less to taste

Pancakes:
5 large eggs
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 cups cabbage, finely shredded with a mandoline or finely chopped
1 bunch scallions, trimmed and chopped
3/4 cup (roughly) baby or chopped shrimp
canola oil for frying
1-2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
bonito flakes (optional)


1.      Whisk the sauce ingredients together. Set aside while you make the pancakes.
2.      In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs with the soy sauce, sesame oil, and salt. Gradually add the flour until incorporated. Fold in cabbage, scallions, and shrimp.
3.      Warm about 1/4-inch canola oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until glistening. Ladle the batter into the skillet as you would for regular pancakes (in 3" to 4" rounds) . Cook on each side for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
4.      Keep pancakes covered in a warm oven as you make the rest. Scatter sesame seeds and/or bonito flakes on top of pancakes and serve with dipping sauce and a cold pilsner.
 
from food52 (by Midge)
mayonnaise, soy sauce, sriracha
sauce mixed
eggs, soy sauce, sesame oil and salt
adding flour
whisked
chopped raw shrimp
adding scallions, cabbage and shrimp

I used already shredded cabbage with carrots (I really
should have chopped it more finely, but clearly I didn't).
batter mixed
batter in pan
flipping
draining on paper towels

I made 10 (approx. 3 1/2-inch) pancakes.
okonomiyaki (sprinkled with sesame
seeds and drizzled with spicy sauce)
.

No comments:

Post a Comment