Thursday, April 5, 2012

Hot Fudge Sauce

It's not that the cinnamon malt ice cream I made earlier this week wasn't satisfying enough all on its own. I was just having one of my "more is more" gluttonous moments and couldn't help but pump up the volume. What I like about this hot fudge (aside from everything), is the way it kind of hardens a little when it hits the cold ice cream. It doesn't get Magic Shell hard (if you tap it, it won't break apart). But it gets thicker and I like the texture. You can kind of see it happening a little in the photo.

FYI: My daughter's school is closed for the next 10 days for Spring break. Which means I'm taking a break too. I tried to convince Maddie it would be fun to spend her vacation cooking with me in the kitchen (like cooking camp without all the swimming and other kids). But she didn't go for it. She's getting less gullible every day. Pretty soon the hornswoggler is going to become the hornswogglee (a rite of passage at my house).


HOT FUDGE SAUCE
Yield: 2 cups

1 stick unsalted butter
3/4 cup brown rice syrup (or light agave syrup or light corn syrup)
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup heavy cream
4 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped (or chips)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


1.      Combine butter, brown rice syrup, cocoa powder, salt and cream in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
2.      Remove from heat. Add the chocolate and vanilla extract; stir until smooth.
3.      Serve immediately (while hot) over your favorite ice cream. Or store covered in the refrigerator and reheat.
measuring the brown rice syrup
adding the vanilla

I'm getting to the bottom of a jar of homemade vanilla
extract
(that's why there are so many vanilla seeds).
butter, brown rice syrup, cocoa powder, salt and cream
simmering
adding thechocolate
hot fudge sauce
spooning hot fudge sauce over cinnamon malt ice cream
It gets really thick in the fridge. You could just eat it by
the spoonful. But that would be wrong. So scrumptiously wrong.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment