One of greatest things about cooking is getting to make exactly what you want. I've never seen cinnamon malt ice cream at the store. Which, if you ask me, is a big oversight. Ben...Jerry...anyone listening? Then again, who needs those guys? That's my whole point. I don't need 'em. All I need is an ice cream maker and my imagination. Well, if I'm being totally honest here - I need those and about five hundred other things to support me in the lifestyle to which I've become accustomed. Oh, like your heart doesn't palpitate when you think you've lost your iphone.
CINNAMON MALT ICE CREAM
Makes about 1 quart
2 cups milk
4 teaspoons tapioca starch or corn starch
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup malted milk powder
2/3 cup coconut sugar (or light brown sugar or granulated sugar)
2 tablespoons brown rice syrup, agave or light corn syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
1. In a bowl, stir together 1/4 cup of the milk and the starch; set slurry aside.
2. In a 4-qt. saucepan, whisk together the remaining 1 3/4 cups milk, cream, malted milk powder, sugar, syrup, cinnamon and salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 4 minutes; stir in the slurry.
3. Return to a boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
4. Place cream cheese in a bowl and pour in about 1/4 cup hot milk mixture; whisk until smooth. Then whisk in remaining milk mixture.
5. Pour mixture into either a bowl or plastic bag (seal), and cool in an ice bath until chilled.
6. Pour mixture into an ice cream maker; process according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer ice cream to a storage container and freeze until set.
heavily adapted from Jeni Britton Bauer’s ice cream base
|making the slurry (I used tapioca starch)|
|adding malted milk powder to milk/cream|
|adding coconut sugar|
|adding brown rice syrup|
|softened cream cheese|
|hot milk mixture added to cream cheese|
|everything whisked together; cooling off|
|pouring the chilled ice cream mixture into the ice cream machine|
|cinnamon malt ice cream|