Monday, October 24, 2011

Sauerkraut with Apples

Apples are just so good right now, I wanted to find something a little interesting or unusual to do with them. This makes a really nice side dish for pork or turkey (maybe for Thanksgiving if you're in a rut and want to surprise your family with something new on the plate). I hear sauerkraut is also good for aiding digestion (which is great if unbuckling your pants doesn't do the job). This is also tasty on sandwiches and hot dogs, but then you're back to being predictable (deliciously predictable).


SAUERKRAUT WITH APPLES
Makes 6-8 servings

1 small (or ½ large) onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 pounds sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
2 medium apples (Gala, Fuji, or Red Delicious), thinly sliced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar or maple sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper


1.      Cook onion in butter in a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 6 minutes. Stir in sauerkraut, apples, and wine and bring to a simmer.
2.      Cover pot and reduce heat, then simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauerkraut is very tender, about 2 hours.
3.      Stir in sugar, salt and pepper; add more to taste. Can be made 3 days ahead and chilled. Reheat before serving.

slightly adapted from Gourmet, November 2009 by Ian Knauer

onions in the pan
onions, 6 minutes later
fuji apples
sliced apple

I think I sliced mine too thin. Next time I would
go a little thicker so they don't break down quite
as much once they're cooked.
sauerkraut, apples and wine added to the pan
adding the sugar, salt and pepper
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan - I notice you are not posting everyday. I think that is just fine - I was wondering how you could do it everyday. Your pictures and writing show that much time goes into each post. All excellent and much enjoyed but we are willing to give you a bit of time off.
We are still eating the sweet potato soup. The recipe went into my favorite notebook.
Becky

Susan said...

Thanks for understanding (since Maddie started her new school schedule, I just don't have as much time anymore). I figure it's probably good to leave the people wanting more anyway. ;)

I'm so glad you like the soup! And thanks for the kind words.

Post a Comment