Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Scalloped Potatoes

One day I was reading the scalloped potatoes post on my friend Elizabeth's blog. She said her husband had raved about his mom's scalloped potatoes for years and when she finally tried them, she thought they were indeed worth all the fuss. It was such high praise and the recipe was so easy, I just had to give it a try. I agree, they are really good. They taste almost cheesy, even though there's only milk and no actual cheese added. 

This would be a great opportunity to break out your mandoline or V-slicer to help slice your potatoes very thin. I used mine, but I couldn't slice the potatoes on the mandoline and take a photo at the same time (I'm just not that coordinated and I'm very attached to all ten of my fingers).

SCALLOPED POTATOES
Serves 4

4 cups thinly sliced Yukon Gold potatoes
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups scalded milk


1.      Preheat oven to 375º F.  Butter an 8-inch baking dish with 3-inch sides.
2.      Layer 1/3 of the potatoes on the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle the tops of the potatoes with 1/3 of the onion, then 1/3 of flour, 1/3 of the salt, and 1/3 of the butter.
3.      Repeat layering two more times.
4.      Pour the scalded milk on top of the potatoes and cover the baking dish with a lid or tin foil. Bake for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake for an additional 30 minutes.

from Nancy Forest (and Elizabeth Errico)

chopped onions
sliced potatoes
potato layer
onion, flour and butter layered
pouring in the milk
baked
 .

No comments:

Post a Comment