THE ROAST BEAST MASTER WITH CRISPY ONIONS
AND CREAMY HORSERADISH SAUCE
Yield: 4 servings
Creamy Horseradish Sauce:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup prepared horseradish
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
salt and freshly cracked black pepper
2 cups buttermilk
2 onions, thinly sliced root to tip
vegetable oil, for frying
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
2 teaspoons paprika
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 large fresh onion rolls, buttered and toasted until golden
4 thick slices sharp cheddar
1 pound good-quality rare roast beef, sliced thin
1. For the horseradish sauce: In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish, honey and Dijon. Season with salt and pepper.
2. For the onions: Pour the buttermilk over the onions and let them sit for about 30 minutes.
3. Heat 3 inches of oil to 350º F in a medium Dutch oven.
4. Whisk together the flour, cayenne, paprika and some salt and pepper. Remove the onions from the buttermilk and toss them in the flour until thoroughly coated. Fry in batches until the batter is golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Let drain on paper towels and season with salt while hot.
5. For the sandwich build: On the toasted onion rolls, begin with a slice of cheddar, pile the meat high, add as many crispy onions as the sandwich will hold and schmear the top bun with a healthy portion of horseradish sauce.
|horseradish sauce ingredients|
|onions soaking in buttermilk|
|I decided to soak my onion in a ziploc bag and then pour out |
the buttermilk. I probably should have drained the onions instead
because I think a little too much buttermilk may have stayed behind.
|flour and spices|
|I poured the flour mixture right into the bag of soaked onions |
and it was a little gummy. That's why I think there was too
much buttermilk left behind in the bag. But I moved ahead.
|cheddar cheese layer|
|roast beef layer|
Actually, that's london broil (it looked
better than the roast beef at the store).
|onion layer (about to be topped off with a |
bun top slathered with horseradish mayo)
I didn't have onion rolls, but I'll bet that's great.
|The Roast Beast Master with Crispy Onions |
and Creamy Horseradish Sauce