I made this a while back (when it was rhubarb season) and totally forgot to post it. Which is exactly why I need a blog to help me remember what I've been cooking. Only I'm not sure how to remember to post everything. So I guess it doesn't always work. But better late than never. Especially for this humble, yet fantastic, cake. I just loved it (that much I can remember). It was super moist and if you're nervous about the garam masala with the fruit, don't be - it's what makes this cake so unique. And the spiced whipped cream...I could eat a bowl of that with a spoon, like ice cream. Unfortunately I over-whipped mine and it came out thick and lumpy (not exactly photo ready - scroll down). But that didn't hinder the flavor (or slow me down) one bit.
APPLE RHUBARB CAKE WITH SPICED WHIPPED CREAM
Yield: 1 (9-inch) cake
Apple Rhubarb Cake:
2 tablespoons fine breadcrumbs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 Granny Smith apples
1 cup chopped rhubarb
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing pan
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cup half-and-half
Spiced Whipped Cream:
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon gram masala
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter a 9-inch spring form pan and coat with the breadcrumbs.
2. Toss together the sugars. Set aside.
3. Peel and core the apples, then slice each apple into 16 wedges. Combine the cinnamon and 1/3 cup of the sugar mixture in a medium bowl. Add the apple wedges and chopped rhubarb, and toss to coat.
4. Using an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and remaining sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and mix until combined. On low speed, add the flour and baking powder. Slowly add the half-and-half. Add apple and rhubarb then fold in well.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake until the center is golden brown, about 35-40 minutes.
6. Let cake cool completely. Run a small offset spatula around the edge to release from pan and remove spring form.
7. To make whipped cream, place all ingredients in a bowl and whip to soft peaks. Serve with cake.
from huffingtonpost.com by Marcus Samuelsson
|Granny Smith apples|
|cinnamon and sugar|
|adding cinnamon-sugar to apples and rhubarb|
|butter and sugar|
|adding flour and baking powder|
|adding half 'n half|
|mixing in the apples and rhubarb|
|pouring batter into breadcrumb-coated pan|
|ready to bake|
|a few slices got eaten before the |
spiced whipped cream even got made
|cream, spices and sugar|
It isn't quite butter yet, but it's too thick
and not nice and smooth anymore...
|...but it still tastes amazing, so on it goes.|
|apple rhubarb cake with slightly sad spiced whipped cream|