ROASTED ASPARAGUS WRAPPED IN PROSCIUTTO
Yield: 12 to 16
1 lb. fresh asparagus (about 19 stalks), ends trimmed (stalks peeled if very thick)
6 to 8 thin slices good-quality prosciutto, halved
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
8 oz. cream cheese* or goat cheese, softened
* chive/onion and garlic/herb cream cheeses are nice too
1. Preheat oven to 400º F.
2. Place the asparagus on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil and toss. Roast until tender, about 15 minutes (depending on thickness of the asparagus). Cool completely.
3. Spread prosciutto slices with cheese.
4. Wrap prosciutto around 1 to 3 asparagus spears (depending on their thickness), leaving the tips and bottoms exposed.
5. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
adapted from Giada DeLaurentiis
Just bend each spear until the bottom snaps off easily.
|oiled raw asparagus|
I don't recommend seasoning it
with salt (the prosciutto is salty).
I know, it doesn't look much different
from the raw - at least not in the photo.
Up close there are some brown spots.
|spreading cream cheese on prosciutto |
(I used chive/onion.)
|roasted asparagus wrapped in prosciutto|