snakewich (concept stolen from Better Homes and Gardens) and now I've gone and robbed pepperjacks from a blogger named spabettie. But can you blame me? Really, they're just so cute. I couldn't help myself. And the quinoa cooked in the carrot-ginger juice tastes really fresh and delicious. Plus it's good for you (that was just a happy accident).
CARROT-GINGER QUINOA PEPPER JACKS
1/2 cup dry black quinoa
1 cup carrot-ginger juice (5 carrots + 1-inch piece ginger, juiced)
1 cup cooked black beans
2 orange bell peppers
spinach salad for serving (optional)
1. Combine quinoa and carrot-ginger juice in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350º F.
3. Hollow out and carve the peppers to resemble jack-o-lanterns.
4. Combine cooked quinoa with black beans and salt to taste.
5. Fill peppers and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Serve over spinach salad if desired.
|carrots and ginger|
I think this would also taste/look good with black forbidden rice.
|quinoa and carrot-ginger juice in pan|
|cooked quinoa with black beans mixed in|
|cutting my pepper jack|
I went a little overboard with my cutouts.
They should be much more dainty, especially the
mouth (unless you're actually trying to make it look
like your pepper jack is throwing up quinoa).
|filling a pepper|
|filled pepper jacks, before baking|
See what I mean, the one on the left looks like
he just ate expired clams from a gas station.