APRICOT NOODLE KUGEL
Yield: 10-12 servings
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup orange juice (or enough to cover the raisins)
12 oz. egg noodles (homestyle or the widest you can find)
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces (plus more for the pan)
8 large eggs
16 oz. cream cheese, softened
8 oz. sour cream (1 cup)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 pinches of salt
2 cups apricot jam or preserves (about 24 oz.)
2 tablespoons dark rum
1. Place raisins in a small saucepan and add the orange juice (enough so they’re all submerged). Heat only until the juice starts to simmer. Remove from heat and set aside for 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 375º F. Butter a 9- x 13-inch baking dish.
3. Cook noodles in boiling water for about 6-7 minutes and drain (they should be slightly underdone). Immediately return noodles to the pot and add the butter. Stir until butter melts.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream cheese, sour cream, vanilla, salt and 1 1/2 cups of the apricot jam.
5. Drain the raisins (don’t clean the saucepan). Add the raisins to the cream cheese mixture. Stir until thoroughly combined.
6. Stir the mixture into the noodles until well combined. Spread noodle mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Can be made ahead (cool completely, then cover and refrigerate). Bring to room temperature before proceeding.
7. Place the remaining 1/2 cup apricot jam in the saucepan. Add the rum and heat until warm and spreadable (add a little more rum if needed).
8. Spread warm jam over the top of the noodles (it’s okay if the top isn’t completely covered). Bake until set and kugel gets a little bubbly around the edges, about 45-55 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
|raisins soaking in orange juice|
|hot noodles and butter|
|adding eggs to cream cheese & sour cream|
|everything added and whisked (except for the raisins--|
I almost forgot those and added them later)
|cream cheese mixture mixed with noodles|
|draining the soaked raisins|
|adding the raisins (it really doesn't |
matter if you do it now or before)
|in the pan|
|heating the apricot jam and rum|
(I like to use Polaner All-Fruit)
|I like to spoon (or in this case, spatula) little |
dollops around and then spread them.
|jam mixture dolloped|
|jam mixture spread|
|apricot noodle kugel|
|on a fork|